Tuesday 22 October 2013

BABYMETAL - Megitsune (Merging heavy metal, idol, and traditional Japanese music in a single song.)

I recently mentioned BABYMETAL, an idol group that blends heavy metal with expected pop idol elements.  The result is actually quite good, so much so that yours truly actually got an iTunes account just to score their music. ^_^

For this post, I wanted to talk about the song Megitsune, which means "female fox". When BABYMETAL was founded, they apparently jacked up trying to do devil horns, resulting in the group's trademark hand sign, that of the kitsune. So it is appropriate somehow that they make a song called Megitsune.



I love this song. The video is pretty awesome too with shamisen players wearing kitsune masks, all the while thrashing like heavy metal head bangers. *lol* It is so awesome somehow.

About 1:50 into the video, the tempo and tone of the song change, and the video shifts to match. The BABYMETAL girls are gone, replaced by a woman in a kitsune mask, kimono, and performing a Nihon Buyou (I think that's what it is) dance. The kitsune thrashers behind her just add to the awesomeness of the moment, as does the primal screaming for some reason.  I started thinking that Inuyasha and Kagome might show up at any moment. *lol*

I scored both the instrumental version of this song as well as the full version from iTunes. It is expensive to get otherwise.

Later, I'll touch some other songs BABYMETAL has done that I like. ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment